- August 17, 2018
- Posted by: ipaytotal
- Category: best high risk merchant account provider, best high risk merchant services, Chargebacks, E-Commerce, Economics, high risk merchant account provider, high risk merchant account solutions, High Risk Merchant Accounts, high risk merchant payment processor, high risk merchants uk, high risk moto merchant account, high risk offshore credit card processing, high risk payment gateway uk, High Ticket Merchant Account, International
What are High-Risk Merchant Accounts and How to Setup One?
A high-risk merchant account is a merchant account designed for businesses deemed as high-risk businesses or operating in high-risk industries. Such a business might include; betting or gambling businesses, adult entertainment businesses, bail bonds, auto rentals, collection agencies, businesses offering subscription services, and those in the medical marijuana market. Multilevel marketing and many other such businesses where the customer is not physically present. Such businesses find it hard to get financial services directly through financial institutions thereby requiring high-risk merchant services. High-risk merchant services are provided specifically by companies tailored to offering those services but at an extra fee.
Are You A High-Risk Merchant?
Believe it or not, there’s no single definition of high-risk businesses in credit card processing. Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover all have their own lists. Processors use those lists as a base and add additional industries according to their own risk requirements. That means that while all processors will include the card brands’ listed industries, any additional high-risk classifications beyond that are at the processor’s discretion and will vary from one processor to another.
High risk of credit card processing can be difficult, but it is not a death sentence for your business. Running any business nowadays give or take demands that you give your clients the option to pay with credit or debit card. In case you are an e-commerce entrepreneur, credit/debit cards are about the only option for getting paid. Although tiny businesses may get by with a payment service provider like PayPal or Square, once your company reaches a particular size, you are going to need to upgrade to a full-service merchant account. While it’d be fine if credit card processors treated all businesses equally, but the truth is they don’t.
Larger, higher volume businesses receive lower processing rates and frequently obtain more generous contract terms. Businesses can also be treated differently based on the degree of financial risk they present to their processor. All processors will carefully judge your business to determine if you fall in the list of a high-risk merchant class. If for whatever reason, your company is determined to be from the list of the high-risk merchant class, the implications can be severe. Many high-risk merchant processors will simply refuse to approve you for a merchant account, while others will charge you significantly higher rates and fees than you’d otherwise have to pay. Sadly, there is also a good deal of merchant services providers that intentionally market to high-risk businesses which are fighting to get approved for a merchant account, just to rip them off with exceptionally high fees and rates, along with draconian contract terms.
If you’re considering a particular provider, check their website or contact them directly to see if they find your business to be high-risk and needs a high-risk payment processor. This can save you a lot of time and effort to find a high-risk international merchant account in wasted applications to providers who aren’t going to approve you. How a merchant services provider treats a high-risk business for credit card processing can also vary widely. Many providers, particularly those that try to offer merchant services at the lowest possible prices, simply do not accept any high-risk businesses at all. This helps to reduce their exposure to fraud and keeps costs low for their existing clients who use high-risk merchant account credit card processing. Other providers will allow certain high-risk companies but will charge you significantly higher rates and fees for your merchant account due to the elevated risk they’re accepting by giving you a merchant account. There’s also a third category of providers who specialize in placing high-risk businesses. While their rates and fees aren’t a good deal for non-high-risk merchants, they can often provide a merchant account for high-risk businesses that have been turned down by other providers.
Every business that applies for a merchant account is assessed for the level of risk that their business experiences. The level of risk has a dramatic effect on the processing rate that is offered to the business and is usually centered around the number of chargebacks that business receives offset by the volume merchants process each month. Chargeback prevention can go a long way towards helping you keep your chargeback rate much lower.
How to Find a High-Risk Merchant Account Provider?
Accepting payments through credit cards has been part of the norm of modern business but if your business falls under the high-risk category, finding a Best high-risk merchant account provider can be challenging. Is it very important to get the right merchant account provider that will suit the business’ needs because a high-risk business requires special attention in setting up a payment processing account because of the heightened risk that comes with the industry category of the business itself?
It is a must to find a reputable high-risk merchant account provider that will process the credit card transactions of the business.
You can find a list of high-risk merchants on various merchant account comparison websites. These high-risk merchant lists may contain high street banks and various PSPs, payment facilitator, MSPs and ISOs.To find the perfect partner for your business out of these list of high-risk merchant account provider is a tricky task. You need to check the rates and the terms of every provider out of this list of Merchant account provider and then find the best terms according to your business. For card not present transactions, finding a high-risk merchant account is even more difficult. It is recommended to start the search for such a company online. It is possible to find a lot of information on the internet nowadays. From the internet, a list of the most favorable three should be taken. The three should then be qualified one after the other until the very best one has been found. The qualification process can be based on the following criteria.
A high-risk merchant account can enable you to accept credit and debit card transaction through your customers based anywhere in the world. Before choosing a high-risk merchant account provider, a merchant must review the terms and conditions and the fine print involved. It is very much expected that the high-risk merchant account fees will be much higher than normal traditional accounts. Customer service is an important criterion before choosing your high-risk merchant account provider.
Costs for High-Risk Merchant Accounts
High-risk merchant accounts come with higher fees than traditional merchant accounts. Your specific business type, registration with card brands (if applicable), and other factors all affect your final costs.
If you choose to take both Visa and Mastercard and have an MCC that requires card brand registration, you’ll pay $1,000 per year for registration with the two companies. That registration fee is not in your processor’s control and is in addition to the per-transaction rates and fees.
Processors will set pricing and terms on a case-by-case business, reviewing the details of your individual needs. It’s a good idea to get quotes from multiple processing companies to compare costs before making a decision.
The high rates and fees in a high-risk merchant account are due to the risk involved in the high-risk merchant acquiring.
Charges – The company with the least charges might not be the best perse, but it will help to keep the profits at a maximum. While deciding on the charges it is also important to consider the services being offered to determine if there’s value for money.
Services Being Offered – The other consideration should be on the services being offered. Different institutions will offer different services to their clients. For instance, some might have fast payouts for their account holders while others might not. The right company is the one that will offer the services tailored to meet the needs of the business.
Clear Communication – The company should also offer very clear communication regarding how their business is conducted. This should be given in writing. The company should indicate clearly how the payouts are made when they are made and the frequency of the payout.
For the application process to be smooth sailing, the applying business should ensure they have all the requirements at hand. The information provided should be clear and true. The business should also have all the funds required to start the account if any. It is possible for accounts to be denied when the applications are not made properly.
How To Easily Identify and Coordinate with A High-Risk Merchant Account Provider?
- Search via the internet for the list of payment processors that handle card schemes or payment networks linked to the payment cards whether debit or credit card for the list of payment processors. Major card schemes are American Express, Diners Club, MasterCard, Visa, and Union Pay. Inquire with the sales team of the prospective payment processor. Provide them with the following information – industry type of the merchant’s business, company website, the minimum, and maximum ticket size and the fraud prevention steps of the company to prevent a chargeback.
- Businesses from within the same industry can also provide a source of payment processors since most of the company websites show the name of the payment processor of their business on the contact page.
- Inquire about the charges and fees that come with the merchant account because it will definitely cost money to create one. Services rendered are paid although some merchant account providers seem to charge less to open an account but have higher fees for each card transaction. Fees associated with creating and using the merchant account must be analyzed and checked if the charges are reasonable or not.
- The payment service provider should be able to offer as many payment types as possible to maximize sales because a merchant account is not only about accepting credit card or debit card payments.
- The best provider must also be able to provide tools to secure the merchant account and can help in managing fraudulent transactions and chargeback and also help in generating customer profiles through the payment information of the customer.
- The provider should be also able to provide excellent customer support both for potential and existing client and also have friendly fees to its client. It must be noted that if the provider is not willing to answer questions during the inquiry and have shown impatience or if it is unable to provide help, look for a better alternative.
- There are providers who offer a demo for the evaluation of their services. This can help a lot in the decision in regards to the right provider to open a merchant account with.
A genuine payment processor will not approve easily and will take time to review the requirements a merchant has submitted. Some of the requirements that may be obligatory to submit before a processor underwrites a high-risk merchant business are as follow.
- A fully functional company website.
- The company website should be SSL protected.
- Homepage header menu.
- The company’s customer support number and email must be indicated on the website’s homepage and contact page.
- There should be a list of products and services being offered by the company including the product and service details, price and the committed date of delivery or the subscription time.
Risk Management for High-Risk Merchant Services Providers
The bank that offers the high-risk merchant services is called the acquiring bank while that that offers the credit or the customer’s account is called the issuing bank. For the acquiring bank to safeguard themselves from losing a lot of money, there are several risk management features put in place. Here are some of those safeguards used.
Delayed Settlements – In this solution the acquiring bank holds the funds for a slightly longer period than for other merchant accounts. This is done to safeguard the bank in case of a fraudulent transaction.
Use Of Reserve Account – In this method the acquiring back uses a reserve account where a portion of the funds is held for a certain duration. For instance, the acquiring bank may hold 15% of the funds for a month to three months. This cushions the acquiring bank from losses in case certain issues were to arise. The money is passed to the business after the period has elapsed and the process repeats itself.
These safeguards are put in place to protect the acquiring bank as the monies being transacted in the account have a high chance of refund, fraud, chargeback or reversal. When this happens, the acquiring bank has to incur administrative charges to deal with the setbacks.
REASONS WHY YOUR BUSINESS MIGHT NEED A HIGH-RISK MERCHANT ACCOUNT
The high-risk merchant should also do the following to be able to assess well which is the best merchant account provider for the company.
- Read the fine print of the rates and fees. This is very necessary to be able to get the accurate rate quoted by the payment processor. An accurate rate is needed to be able to compare the rates offered by several processors. A low rate doesn’t necessarily mean a low overall cost. Sometimes these low rates come with hidden fees. So a merchant must be wary of this fine print or hidden clause in the proposal and contract. It is better to find a payment processor that is transparent with their fees to avoid the bill shock.
- Choosing a processor is not based on the rates alone but is also determined by many other factors that affect how the business is run such as security and technical support among others.
- The security and fraud protection of the merchant account must be of utmost importance. Data breaches have become prevalent and have hit small and large scale retailers. That is why customers are now after the best protection a processor can offer where proactive fraud prevention is sought to by the processor.
It is a big task to search for the right payment processing company for high-risk merchant processor for high-risk merchants who have essentially almost the same needs as everyone. A monthly fee may also be charged to the businesses falling in high-risk merchant category. The processing fee of a high-risk merchant account totally depends on the business type and the processing history of the merchant. The merchant accounts with high risk involved may have higher reserves and additional terms and conditions.
High-Risk Merchant Account Solutions With IPAYTOTAL
If your business is categorized as high risk, it may be challenging to obtain a merchant account. At iPayTotal, we provide high-risk merchant accounts customized for your business needs. Our high-risk merchant accounts are available to merchants in need of a swift, trusted credit card processing solution. iPayTotal allows you to accept credit and debit card payments within just 24-48 hours of your application approval. iPaytotal is one of the top 10 high-risk merchant account providers worldwide. For average tickets value sales, high-risk merchant account providers do not raise that many questions, but for high-value ticket transactions, the providers handling the transaction make sure that their risk is taken care of and that’s the reason high-risk merchant account processing services, expect extra documentation, higher rates, and difficult terms. Ipaytotal has partnerships with some of the best high-risk merchant account provider in the UK, US, Europe and the rest of the world. We can help you get a high-risk payment gateway for your product or business. We have experience with all of the major merchant providers both in the USA and Internationally. Also, we work with all the major gateway providers and can help you get a high-risk payment gateway today.
We are experts in assisting you with gateways for Firearms, Tobacco, Bail Bonds, Jail Phone Cards and Tech Support. Businesses selling Nutraceuticals, Garcinia Cambogia, Raspberry Ketone, weight loss, skin care, and other supplements can require additional assistance with gateways. Also, Direct Marketing, Buying Clubs, Travel, MLM or Direct Response are industries we have a great experience with. In addition, dating and adult services, as well as online beer and liquor businesses, depend on solid gateways. Furthermore, we have the knowledge and expertise to set up your gateway accordingly. iPayTotal gateway is packed with features tailor-made for any high-risk merchant. Each account is equipped with a virtual terminal that utilizes a standard key-in process or swipes credit option. Additionally, checks can also be processed from anywhere that uses an internet connection. Another extremely useful function is the ability to route multiple MID’s all from one single gateway. Consequently, load balancing can be automated to direct transactions to various merchant accounts. This is a powerful tool to ensure account stability.
IPAYTOTAL continues to earn recognition among the best high-risk internet merchant account providers in the business. We think our commitment to excellence and going the extra mile to exhaust every opportunity is our mantra. We strive to exceed expectations and utilize our expertise and competence to deliver unsurpassed customer satisfaction.
To find out more about High-Risk Merchant Account Solution. Give us a call at +44 800 776 5988 or get in touch with us through our website. Even if you’re not a customer of ours, we want to help you understand the process so you can make the best decisions for your business. We believe transparency and proactive education is the best policy.