- November 13, 2018
- Posted by: ipaytotal
- Category: best high risk merchant services, Chargebacks, E-Commerce, Fraud Prevention, high risk merchant account provider, high risk merchant account solutions, online payments
There are so many reasons for a consumer to file a return item chargeback. There are more than 50 chargeback reason codes between all the major card brands, and keeping in mind that the list is too long to cover them all here, we needed to address some of the most commonly abused reasons behind a credit card chargeback question and how to fight chargebacks.
1. Online Fraud
How to avoid chargeback just because of online Fraud in the future: When it comes to credit card chargeback fraud there are so many tools accessible to merchants to reduce fraud in the online payments world.
- iSpy Fraud Tools: iSpyFraud is a rules-based fraud prevention tool that merchants can use to screen suspicious transaction activity, helping merchants to stay one step ahead of credit card chargeback fraud.
- Verified by Visa/MC Secure Code: Both Visa and MasterCard have programs that enable you to include an extra layer of security to your sales, and potentially avoid from a return item credit card chargeback expense.
- 3D Secure: 3D Secure was made by Visa and MasterCard to provide an extra layer of security for Card Not Present (CNP) transactions and high risk merchants.
- Payment Gateway Tools: Utilize the standard payment gateway tools available to you to evade a pointless return item chargeback. Make sure you turn on and make utilization of AVS (Address Verification Services) and CVV (Card Verification Value).
2. Not as Described or Defective Merchandise
Here is the thing that you ought to do: You can’t make everybody happy, and that goes twofold for consumers. Ensure you have a responsive customer service team with short hold times. Just a single thing goads a consumer more than long hold up times; talking with a customer service rep for an organization with excessively strict of a return policy. You require rules for how to battle chargebacks and ensure your return policy is unmistakably located on your site in a way that is reasonable for both parties involved.
3. Transaction Not Recognized
Procedures to execute preventing this: In high risk payment processing, your payment descriptor is the merchant name, and additionally other recognizing details that show up on the client’s statement when they make a purchase from you. In the event that the client doesn’t recognize the name that shows up on their statement, it is far-fetched they will comprehend what the charge was for. In order to avoid a chargeback dispute, the arrangement is to make sure your descriptor reflects what the customer will recognize.
4. Incorrect Transaction Amount / Fraudulent Multiple Transactions
What to search for: You may keep running into a system error that can prompt the client’s credit card being charged twice, which risks the capability of a return item chargeback fee. Once in a while, a client inadvertently pressed the “Check Out” button twice, resulting in a duplicate charge. If you happen to see a duplicate order, accept that it was a slip-up and contact the client to affirm. If there is a manual procedure, the individual processing the credit card may make an error. Abstain from doing manual processing of orders if possible, and make certain to express the chargeback time limit someplace inside your return policy guidelines.
5. Canceled Recurring Transaction
The arrangement: If a client demands cancellation of a recurring transaction that is charged intermittently (month to month, quarterly, yearly), dependably react to the demand and cancel the transaction immediately – or as determined by the client. In the event that you would prefer not to fall subject to a credit card chargeback, prompt the client in writing that the service, membership, or subscription has been dropped and make sure to express the effective date of cancellation. Inability to react to client cancellation requests almost always leads to a chargeback.
6. Services Not Provided or Merchandise Not Received
The goals: Start with clear desires and an obvious delivery approach on your website and keep your clients aware by messaging order status updates. Some of the time there are conditions out of your control, particularly for those with a mobile merchant account, that can cause a delay in shipping. Issues here can run from unforeseen climate causing shipping delays, to a startling turn in sales making you come up short on an item – in any case, for a return product chargeback to be evaded, educate the client with respect to the delay and give them the alternative to cancel.
7. Credit Not Processed
Instructions to avoid this issue: Always make refunds in an auspicious way and do as such to a similar credit or debit card the shopper paid with. Delay in the process of refund can result in a return product chargeback, in other words, a basic credit card chargeback. Ensure you communicate to your client to what extent it will take before they see the refund.
This knowledge may appear to be basic to some people, yet with regards to the integrity of how your business is led and your customer retention, it’s in every case best to cross your T’s and dot your I’s. Knowledge is power, which is the reason realizing how to battle chargebacks with respect to the chargeback time limit and how to stay away from this kind of circumstance all together can be a ground-breaking asset. Make sure that your organization chooses a secure high risk merchant account to deflect many of these stressors and for all your payment processing needs.
If you’re not sure whether or not your company has been classified as a high risk business, be sure to read more here for a complete list of businesses that are considered as high risk business and to know more about – What is a High-Risk Merchant Account?
To find out about iPayTotal’s merchant services for a credit card processing merchant account, speak with a live representative directly at +44 800 776 5988 or get in touch with us through our website.